Mobile Internet Usage Statistics
Paul Rogers / November 29, 2011
Over the last few years, we have seen an incredible increase in the amount of smartphone users and those using their mobile device to browse the internet - which has introduced a huge opportunity for businesses.
I was recently looking for statistics on mobile marketing and found information really hard to come of, so I thought I would share the statistics revealed at the Google Engage event that I attended last week.
- The number of mobile subscribers is going to double in the next year
- There were 300m mobile subscribers in 2010
- Predictions suggest that mobile internet usage will outpace desktop by 2015 - Google believe that this could happen by the end of 2012
- 85% of the world's population has wireless access
- There are currently 23m UK mobile Internet users
- 15% of the UK population = mobile-only home
- 68% of mobile phone users use their mobile in retail stores
- 24% of mobile users intentionally carry their mobile phone for in-store price comparison
- 79% of online advertisers don't have a mobile optimised site
- 28% of people who see a mobile ad take action
- Amazon has already recorded four billion mobile sales
- A third of flowers sold on Mother's Day were through mobile devices
- Around 12% of traffic within the online travel and finance industries is through mobile devices
- Facebook pages drive 80% of newsletter sign-up's through mobiles
You can now read my blog post on 2012 mobile internet statistics.