Why you should be thinking about a mobile website in 2012

Posted by Paul Rogers on 05 January 2012

With the amount of people using their mobile phone to browse the internet increasing every single day, now represents the perfect time to start thinking about the benefits of a mobile website for your business.

Last year, it was reported that there were over 48,500,000 active mobile internet users (source), yet only 21% of online advertisers currently have a mobile optimised website (data from a previous mobile blog post) - leaving a huge opportunity for the remaining 79% of online businesses. If you think about how often you check your emails on your mobile phone, wouldn't you be more likely to act if you clicked through to a quick, user-friendly mobile page rather than a desktop page that is barely readible?

You don't necessarily need a full-on mobile website to start converting more mobile users, you could just have your existing website optimised for mobile devices. Responsive design enables the pages of your site to respond to different browsers/devices, providing an optimised user experience that is much more likely to generate conversions. Responsive design has become really popular over the last 12 months and is a great alternative to a full mobile website.


Obviously the value of a mobile website differs depending on your business, with some sectors seeing up to 50% of their orders coming from mobile phones. According to a Google employee speaking at a recent Google Engage event, one third of flowers purchased on Mother's Day 2011 were ordered from mobile devices. This is just one example, but it's well worth looking through your Google Analytics data to see how much of your traffic is coming from mobile users.

Ecommerce websites in particular will be in a much better position to convert more users if their website makes it easier to find information and buy products. We're going to be releasing a series of ecommerce-related blog posts in 2012 and one of the highlights that we'll be focusing on is the ease of buying from mobile devices. I've found myself trying to order products on my phone on several occasions, only to stop due to a lengthy and annoying checkout process.

Depending on your design and functionality requirements, you could look into making a mobile website yourself, there are a number of guides and templates available that can help you along the way. However, if you're looking for more advanced features, a more specific design or ecommerce capabilities, I would strongly recommend using a good, experienced agency.

Here is a short video about responsive design.

If you would like to find out more about mobile websites or responsive design visit our mobile design page or call us on 020 7183 1072.

You can also follow Paul on Twitter and Google Plus.

Categories: Online Marketing (48)

Comments

No one has commented on this page yet.

Post your comment