Hannah Smith works as an SEO Consultant for Distilled, who are the organisers of the SearchLove conference. Having never heard Hannah talk at an event before this conference, I didn't really no what to expect - but, to summarise her presentation in one word, it was "awesome", definitely one of my favourites of the event.
Hannah not only presented very well, but her presentation featured a number of examples of effective and creative link bait that illustrated the points that she made.
Key takeaways from this presentation:
- Really good ideas can get you links
- Good news stories make good link bait
- Hotornot generated over one million links
- Ego-bait gets great links
- Industry award sites will get links
- Getting people to contribute to things = links
- Justify linkbait expenditure by outlining the cost per link
- Spoof campaigns make good link bait
- PR hooks within headlines can earn links
- Always have a PR angle
- Using iPhone within your headline will get your links
- Great product pages can get you links – oyster.com is an example
- Targeting – who do you want links from and what do they link to?
- Crawl blogs to see what kind of content they link out to
- Remember that it's not what you want – it's what the linkers want!
- Having contacts that you can reach out to = great
- Always have a PR option – industry news, blogs, PR sites etc
- ITG 2011 survey = good data
- Make it easy to share your content
- Exceptional content will get good links
- Brainstorming = good way to come up with link bait ideas