Mobile web browsing has reached an all time high with the surge of new smartphones and tablet pc's on the market. Yet many companies are still not making mobile website development a priority.
Some compelling statistics
- Mobile now accounts for 12.59% of UK web traffic
- iPhones account for 58% of mobile visits and an additional 17% come from iPad devices
- Over 75% of the worlds population own a mobile device. That's over 5 billion people
- Google has seen a 500% growth in mobile search from 2008 to 2010 and a 67% increase in mobile searches
- There are more than 250 million active users [50% of total users] currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices
In case you are not familiar with how mobile devices work; when you go to a web address on a mobile device, the website can tell what type of device it is being loaded on: iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad or a desktop web browser. Now that the website knows this we can make it load a completely different design and deliver different content to the device.
What makes a website mobile optimised?
- Design - There's a fundamental difference in the way content is displayed on a mobile device. Phones for example have a much small screen space than computer screens.
- Speed - The majority of users will be accessing your website over a 3G or 2G data connection. This isn't as fast as your 2mb broadband connection in the office.
- Content - Hiding unnecessary content is important for both of the points above and will make the whole user experience better. Ideally cut out anything that isn't essential to the mobile site.
Examples of good mobile optimised websites
(Obviously you'll need to view these on a mobile device to get the full effect.)
Your first steps into mobile optimisation
We would recommend that you highlight the top activities that your users do on your website. This might be looking for your address or contact details, finding some content or buying a product. Once you have this information it should be easy to get the top activities implemented.
If you are interested in finding how you can optimise your website get in touch and our team will be happy to discuss it with you.